My blog has moved and can now be found at http://blog.aniljohn.com

No action is needed on your part if you are already subscribed to this blog via e-mail or its syndication feed.

Friday, August 26, 2005
« Windows Mobile 2003+ Smartphone - Withou... | Main | FormsAuthentication.SignOut and Cookie R... »

I recently got a new box at home and have been slowly migrating some of my old applications onto it.  Since I happen to run my desktop under a non-administrative account, I often run into applications that do not obey the rules of the road when it comes to properly running under a user’s security context.

One of the applications is Tivo Desktop (v2.2).

I installed the software under an administrative context and had no issues connecting to my Tivo over the network. But once I went back to my non-admin account, I started getting errors to the effect that it could not find my Tivo on the network and that I would have to enter Media Access Key again.

I used SysInternal’s regmon to figure out what was going on and found out that the issue was caused by an access denied on the “HKCU\Software\Tivo” hive.  Looked at the permissions on that hive and discovered that my account did not have permissions on it. Once I gave myself access, things just worked.

Tags:: Musings
8/26/2005 10:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time  |  Comments [0]  |  Disclaimer  |  Permalink   
Comments are closed.