My blog has moved and can now be found at http://blog.aniljohn.com

No action is needed on your part if you are already subscribed to this blog via e-mail or its syndication feed.

Saturday, May 13, 2006
« XML Schema Patterns for Common Data Stru... | Main | Open Source Portals Reviewed by Infoworl... »

It would appear that the GPS Receiver that comes with Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006 does NOT work with the GPS enabled Microsoft MapPoint 2006 software!

I had purchased a copy of MS Streets & Trips 2006 with GPS some time ago. It worked precisely as advertised. Then recently I got a copy of the MapPoint 2006. Since it had some additional capabilities I figured I would replace Streets & Trips with MapPoint. After all, same company, same product line etc.. etc..

I un-installed S&T and installed MapPoint. Plugged in my USB based MS GPS unit that came with the S&T. Immediately get a message that it is an unknown device! I do a search for a driver (local + online with windows update) and it installs something. At this point if I do scan for a GPS receiver from the GPS panel inside MapPoint, it recognises the existence of the MS GPS device. The unfortunate thing is that it simply does not seem to be able to use it! It consistently says in the panel that it is “receiving data” but that no satellites can be found. Given that I was able to, from same the physical location, get GPS data with my S&T 2006, and it is highly unlikely they moved the satellites during the last week of so :-), somehow I don’t think the issue is with the GPS unit.

There are some things I expect to work seamlessly out of the box and consumer facing software is one of them. Not impressed so far.. Guess it is time to rip and replace.

[Now playing: Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven]

Tags:: Musings
5/13/2006 7:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time  |  Comments [4]  |  Disclaimer  |  Permalink   
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 3:12:01 AM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)
Crap...I was going to try this tommorow. What if you select the GPS in the Device Manager and select Update Driver, and select the OLD S&T driver. The driver is just a USB to COM bridge and the GPS is just standard NMEA. I bet it will work.

You might also see if the GPS broke by running my GPS sample from msdn.com/coding4fun...you'll see the raw data and the lat and lon if it has a lock.
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 4:35:40 PM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)
The process of un-installing S&T also removed the driver for the GPS receiver ;-) Re-install the driver from your old S&T CD (or from http://download.pharosgps.com/download/drivers.htm ). After that is done successfully, take it _OUTDOOR_ to test it). Even if it occasionally might have worked in your home, office, etc, the GPS receiver you have is not sensitive enough to guarantee to work indoor consistently ;-)
Marvin Hlavac
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 5:49:20 PM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)
Yes, I just did this fine in my car. As long as the USB Driver for S&T is installed and you're outside, the driving directions work in MapPoint 2006.
Scott Hanselman
Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:07:18 PM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)
Thanks Guys! The process worked for me as well. I was a bit disappointed that the GPS driver did not ship out of the box with the MapPoint software!
Anil John
Comments are closed.